Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Today's the day. And Cincy to NY.


The day before... 

I still can't believe I'm doing this. All the obstacles I've faced to get to this point, and it's happening.
I thought this'd be a great time to record what I want to get out of this experience, what I want to gain and what I want to avoid, while I'm still unbiased by other students and by Firenze itself.

I want the Italian experience, not the American-Italian one. Avoid the places where the American students go and go where the locals go instead.
I want to step out of my comfort zone box and do things I normally wouldn't do in a foreign country. I want to budget well and efficiently when it comes to food and transportation and traveling.
I want to speak Italian as much as possible. At least half the time.
I want to take the time to know where I am, the significance of all the history I'm surrounded by.
And most of all, learn from my mistakes quickly. :)


Today's the day...


THE day...driving to the Cincinnati airport. 

On my way from Cincinnati to New York, I surprising have the first aisle seat in this dinky little plane. Apparently there was a "weight inbalance" (I am skeptical) and they asked a few of us to move to the back. So I'm stuck in the back, and soon I notice the lady across from me is reading a book. Cover says, Austen - Orgoglio e Pregiudizio. 

I'm not gonna lie - it was the "è" part that gave it away. It means "and" in Italian. And my excited brain was rapidly thinking, this could be Italian! She could be Italian!

I remembered I had an Italian-English dictionary app on my phone. I googled the word "orgoglio" and it did mean pride! I'm sure you can tell how much I tried to contain myself, but truly, my thought-to-be-hallucinations actually weren't hallucinations, and I almost didn't have the guts to talk to her. After thoughtful planning that didn't alleviate any of my hesitation, my spontaneous side decided to come out. 

I learned she was going to Milan, her home, and travels a lot of business. She works with some design company for sunglasses (of course, being Milan) and actually was in Mason for the short time she was here!



She made a list of places in Milan that I should visit, and I got to practice my broken Italian. :) 

It's fate. I'm destined to go to Italy. What else could it be when this happens on a flight from Cincinnati, Ohio?! 

(And it wouldn't be happening if I hadn't moved to the back due to a "weight inbalance"?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...