Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Exploring Siena: Leaving the Guided Tours


Be prepared to sit down and read/browse/enjoy for a while. Feel free to grab coffee and make yourself comfortable. The following pictures (or in other words, journey I’m about to take you on) will be a walk-through of my amazing day on Saturday, condensed from about 300 pictures!

First off, this was a day-trip, provided by my program. About an hour away from Florence exists the lovely town of Siena – which is still touristy, but has an off-the-beaten-path feel to it. Paid €5 to reserve my spot, which then becomes refundable if you actually participate (aka free transportation).

When I first looked at the itinerary (arrive at 9:30, guided tours until lunch, then another tour until 3, and 2 hours of “free time”) – I immediately knew that this wouldn’t work. I didn’t know my program would take us to Siena and already had my list for self exploration and places I didn’t want to miss. I predownloaded apps on my phone (walking guides, maps, historical information) to aid my understanding of what I would be seeing.

I did things the legit way, got permission from the staff, and left the group early on. (I wasn't trying to be a rebel -- no one I asked wanted to join me). Having done research mainly that morning, I headed towards the ticket booth in the main piazza. For €13, I obtained admission to the Torre del Mangia – the tallest structure in Italy at the time it was built (1338-1348) as well as the Museo Civico.


I climbed up about 5 different types of steps, and kept thinking I was there -- until more steps appeared from your peripheral vision.



Oh, the joy and freedom of traveling alone! It was so freeing, for lack of a better word, and I could fully enjoy the atmosphere and being in the moment at Siena.





The staircase that took my breath away (literally) has more than 400 steps. At this time, not many tourists were out and about. It was like a dream, with breathtaking views, and no one to judge me when I took pictures of myself. That’s one thing I learned early on – ‘tis quite difficult to take selfies while traveling. Most of the ones you see were taken with my phone camera, rather than the DSLR.


I finally make it up, and did feel a little fearful of the height and ancient dinky stairs. Breathtaking view, eh? There was a 15 minute time limit.


Next up, this beautiful historic fountain located in the main “square” in Siena is called Piazza del Campo. It’s circular and dips down to the Museo Civico and Torre del Mangia. With my handy Siena apps on my phone, I learned that Fonte Gaia was designed by a local sculptor back in the 1400s, and the style is symbolic for Sienese fountains (there’s a fence around the fountain to protect it).


I continued on my exploration and went to the Museo dell'Opera. An inclusive ticket for €8 also got me access to the famous Cathedral and library inside, the Crypt, and as well as the Battiste

I couldn't legally take pictures inside the museum, but it had a lot of religious art and sculpture by famous Sienese artists. I wish I knew more about the art history, but I didn't. The cathedral structure looks as if it's in mid-construction because back in 1348, the plague killed about 2/3 of the population in Siena, so it remained unfinished. You could go up and get a panoramic view of the city from the museum.


Different perspective when you view the Torre del Mangia you just climbed up.


See how the piazza is circular?



 Next up -- the famous Duomo (or Cathedral). This was completed in the 1200s, and the stained glass circle is one of the earliest examples of Italian stained glass.



Inside, there is a unique marble mosaic floor and black and white marble stripes on the columns. You can't help but be amazed because everything surrounding you is so ornate and beautiful.


This is the library inside the Duomo. Absolutely breathtaking. The depth they were able to create continued to astound me (because the walls are flat).


Next, I went in to the Crypt and Museo Civico (no pictures allowed for either). Museo Civico had a plethora of frescoes and more works by Sienese artists. Painted panels were displayed and they had both religious and secular art. The Crypt of the Cathedral was discovered by chance in the 90s and was the back entrance to the cathedral (before the current one). So many frescoes - some of the oldest in Siena - and religious paintings were really impressive. It was a visit that wasn't on my list originally, but since it was included in my pass, it was worth the visit and quite interesting to see.

The baptistery was a neat visit, too - some pieces of art were done by di Turino, Ghiberti and Donatello. Similarly, frescoes adorned the walls. Some of the bronze sculptures you can see below were done by Donatello.


I had about 3 hours left still, and made my way to the Pinacoteca Nazionale. This is an amazing art museum I managed to get into for free (by convincing him I was a student studying Italian and art -- and leaving my student ID card with him). This was a great museum: 3 stories focusing on medieval paintings, Renaissance paintings, and Sienese masters. International paintings were also displayed. Gold backgrounds were quite popular and famous artists displayed included the Lorenzetti brothers and Simone Martini.

I planned on going to the free botanical garden next, but it had closed at 12:30pm. I made my way back towards where the buses would be, by this giant wall. I had some time and discovered a way that you could walk to the top of this wall!


This is the historical Fortezza Medicea (Medici Fortress) and has a lot of history to it (in terms of Siena being conquered then revolting). Anyway, it has now become a garden and there is a large park that can hold exhibitions.


The view from the top of the fort:


Here's the secret garden at the top. Locals were playing soccer with their kids and having picnics and walks.


The view of Siena from the fort.



Beautiful views, eh?



All in all, I'm SO grateful and glad I was able to do this! Although my fellow students did not have to purchase any tickets, they only saw the Duomo and Museo Civico. I think I gained a lot more from this trip -- students I talked to were a little envious and wondered why the guides hadn't told them about the fort or walked up there. Some things you simply can't do in a group (like walk up 400 steps and block the exit for the other tourists). Admittedly, I had moments of doubt. When loneliness would creep in, and I would wonder what I was doing. Or when I couldn't share the excitement with anyone I knew. Or have someone to take pictures with.
But I would never have gotten these beautiful landscape views, or discovered the hidden park on the fort -- and reflecting back, I have no regrets whatsoever.

Not bad for €25 the whole day, including food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...