Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

New York to Dusseldorf



Air berlin provided me with probably one of the most amazing flights I've ever experienced. There are 4 seats in the center aisle, I'm the second one in, and a guy is at the other end. That's our row. 

Pure goodness. Luck. Blessing. The guy called it good luck. That's a lot of personal space, extra room, breathing zone. Speaking of the guy - he's from Finland. 

Didn't predict that one. Practically everyone on this plane spoke in fluent German. I even took two years of German before and I thought he was speaking to his friends in the back in .. German. He said he knew a little German, but also only took it for two years. 

So simply because of who I am, I HAD to bring up their great world class education system. I did this whole presentation in college on it, and to be honest, it's the only thing I know about Finland aside from the fact that they speak Finnish. He said that it's not something they really think about, and they probably should be more proud of the fact that their system works well. He also did agree about the homogenous population part, making it easier to teach students of a similar background. 

Interestingly, before we conversed, I assumed he was going to Dusseldorf - home, to visit, etc. On his side, he assumed I was from New York, as we flew from JFK. So, I mean, clearly globalization isn't too imminent of a future  yet for us common people.

They came around with dinner with your choice of chicken or pasta. Having realized the choices, I already answered pasta before the flight attendant finished speaking. So he assumes I know German.. Especially when I say "danke". 

This is my breakfast. Calazione. At what was technically 1am in the morning. 


Of course, the problem will eventually reveal itself that to you actually don't know the language. And that makes it a little awkward later on... 

So what are Finnish people wondering about America?

 He asked about public transportation, my school, how difficult it is to get into top schools, and how common study abroad is. He himself studied in Prague back in the day (which probably wasn't too long ago). He also said in Helsinki (which he clarified was the capital, because I obviously looked clueless) where he lives, most people (80%) drive to work. They do have public transportation but he said it's somehow more expensive... 

Anyhow, I may have caught the travel bug. Just hearing people's stories - who they are, where they've been, expands your understanding already. I'm feeling more and more thankful for this opportunity. 

Here's the Dusseldorf airport, camped out at my gate for Firenze!


Next post should be on Firenze, finally!

1 comment:

  1. The point where we verify what Dr.Helms was saying was semi true...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...