Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

First full day in Firenze.


I finally got to rest. My brain is still on vacation mode, so it's difficult to even take this all in.
Our orientation was at 10am, so my roommate and I (in the hotel we're staying at) took a quick trip up to the Piazzale Michelangelo. I have all these plans of things I want to do, and this is one of them. I've been quite independent and assertive throughout this trip, so I'm lucky if anyone agrees with me to do things. :)
It was so, so beautiful, and there was very few people. I love the times when I get to break away from the giant group of 109 students. I feel like it's like being around a high school setting - constant chatter, excitement, and discussion. 


We didn't get lost once and found our way up these dinky little steps.


The view was already beautiful going up… (across the bridge on the south - which looks like north in this picture) is where our hotel is.


Here is the piazzale.


 In the back, you see the "Old Bridge" -- Ponte Vecchio. On the right, the Duomo, which means cathedral. So gorgeous and bright in the morning!


This is one I took of my temporary roommate, Catherine from Connecticut. We both chose home stays and both of us are the only ones that "happen" to be the only home stays that do not have a roommate.


It all still seems surreal and like a dream. I cannot wait to get watercolor paper or a watercolor notebook asap to start painting Florence from all over town! Surprisingly, I've only met 2 art majors so far, neither of them are super into painting (more of drawing). Hoping I can find a buddy so I won't be the loner artist on the street painting. ;) So glad that I brought my paints and brushes.


Now we're rushing back to make it in time for orientation…




Crossing the San Niccolo bridge that I mentioned earlier...


We were free to figure our own lunch, and I had my handy-dandy list that I had done research on before. The name of the restaurant was Baldovino (the only restaurant I had written down for Florence) and of course, as all my meal places are, the one euro sign to indicate its lower price. Since no one else had other specific suggestions, we headed down Via di San Giuseppe. We almost based it because it was so small and dark…


I was hesitant that my suggestion was being used, but it ended up being great and cheap. The menus were not in English, as you can see, but I got to practice my Italian. 



"Posso avere…" means "Can I have…"
and
"Posso avere il conte per favore?" means "Can I have the bill?"
In Italy, it is considered rude for the check to be brought to you, because it implies that they want you to leave. So, it's common practice to ask for the bill, or you'll be sitting there for quite a while!
One of these pizzas was 6,50 euro.


We had a walking tour of the city, and of course, the Arno was beautiful. 
Sorry that these are horrible phone pictures, but I'm looking forward to having the time to simply go around Florence at all times of the day and having photo shoots!

This is after a walking tour of Florence. I know this city is going to just amaze me more and more, and I'm so excited to update everyone on everything Firenze!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Amma. Accidentally deleted your post!

    "Oh my goodness! I LOVE seeing ALL of your pictures! I feel as if I'm reliving everything. Those "dinky little steps" will save you so much time later ;)
    Good looking out on the restaurant! Good choice with the margherita pizza too--is it the best pizza you've had?
    Looks like you set yourself up with a good buddy too. I'm glad you've found time to do what you're thinking and EXPLORE. I expect to see gelato shots very soon."

    I would like to say -- thanks!! I went there for the sunrise the next day (more like a cloud-rise) but still, so glad I got to go there! No one else in my program has been up there except me (and the ones I brought). The pizza is always amazing, and the portions are HUGE. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...