Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Test Your Knowledge About the U.S.




For one of my assignments, I had to take a short quiz on some "U.S. Basics." Just to see how much you know about your own country before trying to attempt and assimilate to another. It was a great variety, such as life expectancy, the predominant languages spoken, the major ethnic group. I did find it slightly difficult in that the answers were based off of the year 2008. C'mon, now. I think that's just a tad outdated -- lots can change in 6 years.

I missed the question about the literacy rate for Americans over the age of 15: I guessed 86%, when the answer was 99%. That's awful high, and I'm glad it was higher than I expected. If literacy refers to being able to read (understand written communication to an extent), then that makes sense. In my mind, I expect literacy to be a higher standard - writing proper sentences, being able to spell decently. That may have thrown me off.

The U.S. unemployment rate is also a shaky one. I guessed 5%, but I suppose it was 8% in Dec of 2008. That's something that's always fluctuating, I feel. What percentage lives below the poverty line? Correct answer: 13% (I guessed 20%). I'm seeing a trend in which I'm kind of undermining the state of America… also manifested when I guessed 53% used the Internet, when in truth it's 70%.

Also, the largest ethnic minority group is now no longer blacks, as it was for many years in our history. We have a burgeoning population of Hispanics that is continuing to increase.

Anyway, fun facts! Always important to know your own country.
Some ones you should know:
We don't have an official language. Slavery ended in 1865 (not that long ago..). We have the following territories: Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands. And we are only 5% of the world's population.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...