Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Monday, January 13, 2014

The Wealthy American



Globally speaking, the U.S. has amassed quite a reputation and stereotype in the world. Some students who have studied abroad shared their experiences of discrimination from being an American. A common one is the "wealthy American" -- no thanks to famous celebrities and athletes.

To dispel such stereotypes, simply explain your socio-economic situation. I don't blame anyone for assuming that a student studying abroad has money, because travel costs do add up and it's natural to assume with the wealthy stereotype portrayed in the media. I'm not going to deny that we probably have it easier than other students from other countries -- it's fairly easy to get a job, save up money, and still get a job upon coming back.

My side of the story: I'll get into the finances deeper in another post after my program, so I can really break it down for everyone. But generally, I do consider myself your average, comfortable middle-class American -- doesn't everyone consider themselves middle-class?? Anyway, I've been lucky enough the last 2 years to have held down multiple jobs. For many college students, it isn't difficult getting A job; the problem lies in getting a job you want, that pays enough. It's common to find students working full-time, and if you truly wanted, while taking classes full-time. Many young people in other countries aren't even able to find jobs. The other portion of my trip is funded from 3 different scholarships I've applied for, and the rest is from saving up.

So yes, as Americans, we are better off than most, but to be completely honest, few are as well off as the media portrays. As a side note, though… I personally feel that many, many study abroad students do come from a wealthier background and are able to afford it with the help of their parents. So perhaps the stereotype is not completely unfounded… I hope to share my experiences and will report back on what I observe in other American students!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...