Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Monday, December 2, 2013

What I've Done in My Life: From a 90 Year Old


This weekend I was just reminded of some lovely moments of why this is one of the most beautiful jobs I've had.

I've recently been having an unhealthy obsession with ribbon, bows, and decorating. The whole holiday atmosphere is getting to me. Last night as my roommate was wrapping gifts, I had spent half an hour looking up Youtube videos on how to tie a big ribbon bow for her. In obvious failure. I mean, scissors & pipe cleaners? I guarantee there's at least 10 different ways to do this.

Saturday (at work):
I saw Mrs. S, and her daughter and son-in-law were visiting. I noticed a beautiful bow on their wreath, and asked if they made it. Her son-in-law informed me that Mrs. S and her daughter were bow-making experts.

When I told her this, Mrs. S's daughter pulled out a plethora of ribbon and told me to pick. She proceeded to show me how to make one and walked me through the steps. You can clearly see which one I did… haha. [the bottom one]


Sunday (before and at work):
My old roommate is getting married in 2 weeks! We talked about wedding decoration ideas at lunch, and I proudly told her that I just learned how to tie beautiful ribbon bows. Needless to say, I am now in charge of doing those for her wedding..

I told Mrs. S this when I arrived at work, and later that night she had a conversation with her daughter on the phone:
Daughter: Is this Jennifer who made the bows yesterday?
Mrs. S: Yes, and guess what? Her friend who's getting married wants her to make them for her wedding!
Daughter: Oh my!
Mrs. S: I know - and guess what? Her friend's wedding is in 2 weeks!
Daughter: … oh my goodness! Does she need any help?

:)

Later than night as I assisted her to bed, Mrs. S told me how she got her first job babysitting, then became a secretary.
"I remember the dumbest things I did," she laughed. "I once put mail in a trash bag outside instead of the mailbox!"
She held parties at her home and sold jewelry, until she realized that many of the women who bought the jewelry were poor, and really couldn't afford to buy it, but they did anyway. She quit soon after, saying her conscience couldn't handle that.
"Once, I was in a float in St. Petersburg in Florida. I was the Statue of Liberty."
Me: "You should go back sometime and be an honorary guest!"
Mrs. S: "They'd probably think I was some crazy lady who's making this all up!"

She proceeded to reminisce and share with me her wisdom.

"One thing I've always told myself, is that it's never too late to learn something new." 
{I felt like I was in a movie and being given life advice I hadn't even asked for.}



She recalls three things that she wished she had done:

1) Swimming
She said she could dog paddle but could never swim well or gracefully. Unsurprisingly, all her kids became lifeguards when they were younger. 

2) Publishing a book
I told her I had tried writing a novel when I was 16. I had about 40,000 words down and gave up and decided the life of a writer wasn't for me. With the most vehemence I had ever seen this sweet lady express, Mrs. S shook her fist and insisted, "Oh, you've just got to go back and finish it!"
Taken aback, I responded, "I'll probably go back to it someday."
Her face dawned with an understanding that I couldn't comprehend, as she explained, "Now you're stuck. Stuck in a place where I used to be."
At my confused look, she said: "I used to say that all the time. And now look -- I still don't have anything published."

3) Playing the piano
"I tried to learn when I was younger," Mrs. S said wistfully. "But I quit. But my daughter can play the organ."

I always thought that if I asked someone about life regrets, it would be something humongous. Like, I never should have moved to Ohio. Or, I wish I had waited to get married. But her small list of things shows us that we cannot overlook the small details.

"By the time you get old, you will have regretted things you didn't do more, than the things you have done in your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...