Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Monday, December 9, 2013

How Not To Quit Your Job


Here it is. The resignation letter. Sitting in a tasteful arrangement with - that's right, my keys, sunglasses, and a cup of water.

Just for reference, it takes about 20 minutes to formulate and type up a classy I'm-going-to-quit-my-job-and-here's-my-two-weeks letter. [By classy, I mean one that is personal, genuine and yet professional while emotionally touching.] 
But here I am, from this experience, telling you how NOT to quit your job. :)


4 Things Not to Do When Quitting Your Job 
(Source: Things I did when quitting my job)

1. Be awkward.
Plan what you are going to say, and be prepared for any potential questions they may ask - why you are leaving, when you are leaving. Be confident in your decision. (Just so you're warned, this method still did not prevent the awkwardness.)

2. Overplanning. 
I planned when I was going to tell my supervisor, but neither of the times ended up working out. Set several possible times in a general time period. You don't want to inform them too early but you don't want to put it off until you have no choice but the last day. 

3. Telling your coworkers before your manager. 
When my manager reacted by maintaining her smile and accepting my letter, I became extremely worried slightly concerned that she had already known somehow. No matter how much you trust your judgment in character, you never know who will "betray" your trust.

4. Giving the said letter right after a monthly staff meeting in December after being bestowed with multiple gifts from your company.


To defend myself, never in my last six months of working here have I gotten anything remotely like this. In my time of laboring with this place, loving the residents, hating my job, then wondering how I could ever hate my job because I love my job -- I don't recall getting too much appreciation with material gifts. Well, there you go, folks. There's a first time for everything.

1 comment:

  1. I completely relate to the overplanning and telling your co-workers before your manager bits. My fellow and hostess and I had plans of leaving right after the other and it was probably not a good idea to chat about it with her because we were simply toooo giddy on our respective days we were to hand in our two weeks. Another point: staying firm in your decision once you've handed in your two weeks. I definitely ended up staying longer than I anticipated because I was so wishy washy about leaving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...