Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Global Scholars Intro


Oh, the craziness of having a blog. Just to establish myself – first things first. I am studying abroad in Florence, Italy in the spring of 2014 – Jan. 16 to May 9, to be exact with the program AIFS. I’ve decided to partake in their Global Leader Certificate program, and hence the impetus of this blog.

First task – to answer a few questions for the first entry.
Profile Information
I’ve never lived abroad, really. But traveling — let’s see: over the years, I’ve done a few jaunts here and there.
  • Canada (around Vancouver)
  • Mexico (drove south past Tijuano into Baja California; Cancun)
  • Just about the whole island of Puerto Rico – I would LOVE to go back! 
  • Taiwan (once when I was 3) and over a summer when I was 14 to visit family. Yes, both my parents immigrated from Taiwan a little over 20 years ago.
  • Belgium & Germany (over spring break during freshman year of college)
I will graduate in May with my undergraduate degree in Biology (or Biological Sciences, to be precise, or if I want to sound slightly pretentious…).
I’m currently a senior at Wright State University in the small-ish city of Dayton, OH. 
In the 8th and 9th grade, I learned some Spanish. In the 10th and 11th grade, I switched over to German. My background has enabled me to know a little Mandarin – as in, I can understand the gist of what you’re saying and can probably communicate understandably if placed in a situation of dire need, but I’m far from fluent. 
I’d like to think I have some foreign language learning skills by this point!
My fears and concerns about studying abroad? 
  • Not making the most of my time there – finding the right balance between traveling, studying, blogging, taking pictures, etc.
  • Being comfortable living as a Florentine
  • Not gaining the vision I’m looking for – why the Renaissance was able to flourish there and how science and art can work together
“Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses – especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.” – Leonardo Da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...