Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Culture as an Iceberg?



So, this is such a typical Jennifer-move. I'm going through these online modules for my program, right? And there's a lot of them. My brain subconsciously estimated 50 hours worth of work… And then I somehow stumble upon the fact that we're actually not supposed to do ALL of them - only a selected few. So that global scholars intro post I have here? Yep. Didn't have to do that. 

An exercise I did compared culture to an iceberg. Aspects of culture that you can observe and see (most obviously) are on the surface of the iceberg and the less obvious aspects below the surface. 



Well, most of them were pretty self-explanatory. Annnnd maybe a little obvious. I mean, music? Facial expressions? Clearly different throughout the world. 

But some I think I will have to take some extra consideration. Childraising beliefs? Definitely variable even here in U.S. already. But I always figured concept of fairness to be pretty universal - but it's not. Or even the nature of friendship, values, or even the importance of time. I've been warned that Italians do things a little slower; we like to stay busy and rush everything here.


We shall see! Excited to keep everyone updated. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...