Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Just an Ordinary Conversation


I think being here has made me a more all-around, deeper thinker. I'm actually seeing the ordinary as something surprisingly remarkable, and so, my posts have been less about what I'm doing and more of what I'm thinking and what's impacted me recently. There's so much documentation to keep up with that I just need my blog to be different. I'll try to keep it balanced for all my faithful readers, but for those wanting pictures -- Tumblr would be your best source. 

I knew it'd be a feat to get out of the American study abroad bubble in Florence, but I'm excited to share that it's finally picked up. Sad, I know, as I only have about a month left. But just in the last two weeks, I've met up with an Italian medical student twice, had dinner with an Italian family, and now had this deep discussion with this Italian boy about life under the Tuscan sun. (In contrast, I don't think I had an actual conversation with an Italian for the first month and a half.)


Life under the Tuscan sun: 
through the eyes of a young and hopeful Italian 

This boy is doing a short internship at our school. 
He's here for 5 days and from my perspective, taking a short break from school and being used by American students. The intermediate-level students have to give a presentation on Italian lifestyle, and he's the prime victim for information. 

The Americans sign up for an hour of conversation with him, and he practices his English (but due to that, I've heard few Italian words exchanged, even though ideally, the Americans are supposed to practice Italian.)

Well, after one such appointment he had, I happened to be in the library near him, and we started talking. 

The Facts

He's 17,
got 9 turtles (that multiply every year), 
eats pizza with his family every Sunday, 
and lives on the outskirts of Florence.
He goes to a scientific high school 
(here they are segregated into classical, linguistic, art, etc. depending on what you want to do. They think about this earlier than we do). 
Usually these students want to be an engineer or doctor, but of course, he says he doesn't want to stay in school till he's thirty. The doctors here don't have as much job security as we'd think, so it's iffy. 

He's traveled within Europe - Barcelona, Paris, and Germany, but doesn't think highly of traveling solo just yet. When I tell him about my trip, he accepts my reasoning but refuses to call it a vacation. 
"What's the fun in going by yourself? If I want to visit somewhere, I would want to go with my friends." 
I'm just waiting for the day he converts -- because I'm pretty sure I would have said the same thing at 17. (Actually, I thought something similar -- a fear of not meeting people to travel with -- only a few months ago in January: see Travel musings post here.)


Ordinary conversation: 
revealing the hopes and dreams of an Italian boy

We then talk about comfort zone, and despite not wanting to travel solo, he loves the idea of expanding your zone. He says that once it gets bigger, you can't go back. That life is about expanding that zone -- of course, he's demonstrating this with his hand gestures -- and seeing a little bit more each day. He likes changing it up, doing new things, and he explains to me that the idea of having a real job for the rest of his life scares him. 

"I feel this heavy burden on my shoulders," he says when describing his feelings, "knowing that I have to do the same thing over and over again for the rest of my life."

That thought proceeds to freak me out too, so I say, That's why we choose something we love. 
We both agree on that. 
He asks what I'm doing, and I tell him about the PA profession that I'm trying to get into. 
This is quite a difficult thing to explain, as PAs don't really exist in Italy. Only a handful of countries have adopted this profession. He's interested, so of course, I explain more about it -- why I want to be a PA, and the differences from a doctor. 
I'm pretty sure I convinced him it was the coolest job ever, because he consequently asked me if they have it in Italy and how he could become one. :) Who knows -- maybe one day it'll happen and I'll have recruited an Italian, a Florentine, into the pre-PA club. 

Like many Italians his age, he has never been to the United States. If he can, he'd also like to visit the top destination Italians go to when arriving in North America -- New York. But of course, that'll be a ways forward in the future, due to the unspoken obstacle of money. I say, anything's possible. It may be extremely difficult, but figure out your priorities. It can happen. But until then, continue to enjoy all the Europe has to offer. 

We settle on that. Does he want to stay in Italy for the rest of his life? 
His answer is equally elusive as the future: "I don't want to work here, but I'd like to live here." I'll leave that interpretation open to you. 

Well, there you have it -- the highlights of our conversation that made me almost late for class and him missing most of his lunch break. But it was worth it (at least to me). I'm learning to stop, take the time, and see a bit more of the world through someone else's eyes. Although my days are overwhelmingly busy (yes, the "study" in study abroad does exist), I'm trying to snatch every opportunity I get. 

I'm all for those moments that do not directly change my life, but are remarkable and memorable at the same time. All of these amazing experiences are finally catching up to my brain, and I'm so excited to share all these life epiphanies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...