Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Gelato -- finally!


Recently, I've been trying to figure out the balance between maintaining a tight budget while spending smartly, when warranted. I held out for two weeks until I tried my first gelato ever in Italy.
Why?

Before coming here, I researched 3 main places that were recommended in terms of price, whether it's for locals or tourists, and of course, how good the actual gelato is.
The one most highly recommended was La Carraia, and I'm telling you -- it's fate. It happens to be a 3 minute walk from my home, and it was actually closed with traditional steel doors… until February 1st.

Prices start at €1,50 here, and I am quite impressed! I've heard many disappointing gelato stories (the touristy, expensive, not-tasty kind) and I am so glad I waited! 



I chose the flavor that seemed to be popular (looking at the amount that's already gone -- in the photo below). Torte e formaggio: otherwise known as cheesecake. It was so soft and creamy and comparable to Jeni's (for my Columbus/Ohio readers) with an Italian twist to it. Absolutely amazing.
You just have to savor it.


I'll probably end up trying just about every flavor here by the time I have to leave. Money is tricky thing, everyone. Save a few euro by walking (versus taxi or bus) and spend it on gelato! It'll be so worth it. :)



For my fellow study abroad students: once again, this is La Carraia. Come out from the school, but instead of crossing the bridge, turn left. You'll see it on your left, adjacent to the following bridge, aptly called Ponte La Carraia. :) 
Enjoy!

Edit: You know it was good gelato when that night you dreamed (literally, as in after falling asleep) that you went back multiple times already...



2 comments:

  1. WHOOOO! It looks lovely! Gelato's just weird--don't get me wrong I absolutely adore it--but gelato is rather dense and concentrated (LIKE CHEESECAKE!). That's why you have to eat it slooooowlllly (OR ELSE).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so yummy! :D I'd rather spend money on gelato than on bus/taxi fare any day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...