Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fiesole (on the outskirts of Florence)


Fiesole is a town located on a hill overlooking Florence. You can take the local bus for less than €2 to get here, and they are known for some amazing restaurants and views.

We visited an archeological site, which had Etruscan and Roman remains. The Etruscan settlement in Fiesole was conquered by the Romans back in 90BC, so many buildings were burnt or abandoned. The Roman culture influenced the buildings more, and the Etruscan culture gradually disappeared.


This used to serve as a gymnasium, and there are thermal baths here.


The Roman theatre below is one of the best preserved structures in Fiesole. They still use it for performances locally, and it can seat up to 3000. Quite mossy and slippery!



A small archeological museum exists here and holds bronze votive statues found near the sites.


A gorgeous view over Florence.

Nowadays, I've been busy planning the rest of my semester. I improvised and made my own planner (because the only ones I can manage to find here are extremely pricey). Everyone's planning their weekend trips, spring break trips, etc.

Time for me to decide what I want to do!

Any suggestions for where I should go? 
(Exclude Ireland/Scotland -- that'll be later when I fly back from London).
(Probably exclude Eastern Europe -- save for a future, cheaper backpacking trip?)

I'm thinking Switzerland…or the Northern Lakes in Italy… perhaps Genoa? So many possibilities -- only financial limitations. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...