Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Quirky insights to science, art, studying abroad, & other miscellaneous happenings.

Monday, March 3, 2014

The People You Meet: Solena Cavalli-Singer


This series will be about the people I meet, whether they're my fellow students or -- if I ever make it to this point -- random strangers on the street. This post features Solena Cavalli-Singer, a year-long study abroad student from Minnesota, who is with me in Florence. 


Solena is currently a sophomore majoring in art history at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota. Her favorite gelato flavor (so far) is biscotti della nonna (grandmother's cookies) at a gelateria in Bergamo, Italy. 

Here's what she has to say about her experience:

"Choosing to study abroad is hands down the best decision I ever made. Coming here made me appreciate my [Italian heritage] even more. Last semester I learned more about myself, who I want to be and how I want to live my life. It has been a great eye-opener. 

It's not necessarily slow here, but the laid-back lifestyle makes you more appreciative of the everyday things. It's less media social here, and more face-to-face social. Almost old-fashioned in a sense -- for example, the passeggiata (going for a walk after dinner) with friends is a very common thing here."

Do you have regrets from last semester, anything you wished you had done?

I wish that the first month, I walked around more .. Simply doing more things. Just being in the city, even for a quick little walk. You keep thinking you have time, but really, time flies.

How has living in a home stay made your study abroad experience different?

In my home stay last semester, my host lady did not speak English. I didn't have the cushion of being surrounded by Americans, and I felt more immersed. This semester I'm actually living with an Italian family, so I get to see how that works. 

What is the most fascinating thing about studying abroad in Florence?

Walking and living in a place where important history happened is so interesting! For example, to be able to see the place where Michelangelo worked, and knowing others who have walked through the same streets. The school we go to used to be a house commissioned by a lady, who may have been the model for the Mona Lisa. That's pretty cool. 

What has been the most challenging aspect so far?

Having self control when it comes to eating. I'm a food snob now. There's just so much good food!
(She answers this question as I am eating a sandwich at 3 in the afternoon…)

What is the most important piece of advice you would give to students who are planning to study abroad in Florence?

Put in an effort to learn the language! Don't NOT take advantage of the opportunity. At least attempt to learn the language. Immerse yourself as much as possible. What's the point in coming here if you aren't going to try?

Would you recommend a semester or a year abroad?

I would recommend a year, if it's possible. I totally believe in [the culture shock curve]. It starts with you being overly excited and happy to be in a new place, then after a while, you experience a dip in your emotions, and finally, once you have a grip on the culture around you and are enjoying everything again, it's time to go home. So I would recommend a year because once you figure everything out, you are able to experience the culture with refreshed eyes. I think what I've gained the most is an appreciation for myself. I know that sounds kind of weird and maybe conceited, but it's true. I become so proud of myself when I know how to get to a place without looking at a map, I'm proud of myself when I understand and can have conversations in Italian, and I love that I feel completely comfortable in a city that I've only lived in for 7 months. It's a very rewarding feeling.

What is one of your favorite things to do in Florence, that you recommend that people should do when they are here?

I like walking around and observing people. One day we walked around and discussed clothing and shoes. Shoes especially are a huge giveaway as to who is an American and who is Italian. You get firsthand knowledge versus looking up and reading about the differences online.

You know you've changed since coming here because. . .

Walking by people, I'm now able to pick up and understand the conversation in Italian. I also now dream in Italian. 

When an American mistook us for Italians, that was also a defining moment. After attempting to speak Italian with us, we said we spoke English and helped him out. He said we had an American accent, and that our English was pretty good -- he thought we were Italians! 


Solena will be here until May, with everyone else in our program. You can tell that she definitely has experienced what it's like to live as a Florentine. She has clearly learned a lot and is almost fluent in Italian!
I definitely agree about putting forth the effort about speaking the language (see goal #3 in this post), and it was great getting another perspective of Florence from another student, especially from one who's been here much longer than me. 

"Each art piece in history tells a story, and we get to decode the puzzle."

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! What a cool sounding lass! I definitely agree about the bit in which you find an appreciation for yourself--I think when you're dropped in an unfamiliar place where every minute is a puzzle, you find that you're capable of a lot more than you thought you were. It's a beautiful feeling! And cheers to spending the year abroad somewhere--ah, I'd be pretty stoked to learn a new language and I have a sneaking feeling that going to the place where the language is spoken is THE most effective way to learn it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...